Thursday, December 4, 2008

"Adam Got Hisself a College DEE-ploma"

I often wonder what my life would be like had I been raised to say words like "his'n" and "your'n." It likely would result in a language barrier between me and anyone not from the Deep South, which means it is unlikely that I would graduate from high school, much less college (the only man who ever spoke like this who earned a degree was Bum Phillips).

To my credit, I was raised with words like "hisself" and "theirself" in my vocabulary (not to mention the most offensive racial epithets), yet somehow I scored higher in English than did the average Ivy League graduate.

All in all, though, I'd rather say words like "his'n" and "your'n" than words like "non-dairy creamer" and "magna cum laude."
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

BellaFitz said...

It's "theyself," you pompous twit.