Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mondegreen

I was listening to "Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, and I took particular note of the mondegreen in the second verse:
Cleaned a lot of plates in memphis,
Pumped a lot of pain down in new orleans,
But I never saw the good side of the city,
til I hitched a ride on a river boat queen.
Some think that "pain" is actually "'pane," as in "propane." John Fogerty himself has never told us whether it's "pain" or "'pane."

Anywho, I looked up "mondegreen" on Wikipedia, and I read:
The word "mondegreen" is itself a mondegreen.
I instantly started laughing out loud, and the laughter elevated and then diverted into intense crying because I found it incredibly sad and depressing that I would laugh so much at such a simple self-referential statement.

I've done it. I've gone insane.

(And now Tommy's "Underture" is playing. This won't help.)

2 comments:

tommy salami said...

I always thought it was "pumped a lot of cane" as in sugarcane, which isn't grown there, or chain, which I don't know what it means, but always made me think he was working on a boat or oil rig.
Sort of like Tangled Up in Blue and all the stuff he does.

Mondegreene? I thought that was a term for a caddy. Last time I played golf I heard this guy jumping up and down yelling "Mondegreene" excitedly after he took a swing.

Anonymous said...

I like this mondegreen explanation:

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~wilkins/writing/Resources/essays/mondegreens.html

Oh! Eat a Pancake.