Monday, January 28, 2008

TootNanny

In the past month or so, a few people have been asking, What does "TootNanny" (my nickname given to me when I was a baby) mean? While I'm not sure exactly what it means, I have some theories:
  • I have heard that it is a slang term for "vagina" that originated in jazz clubs in the 1920's. If you've never heard this, it's probably because you're white and you never hang around black people because you're scared that your racist dad will find out and take away your car.
  • I have received unconfirmed reports that sometime in the 20th century in Bastrop, Louisiana (xxvi miles from West Monroe, my home town), there was a rib joint called "Tootnanny's BBQ."
Other TootNannys:
  • "Tootnanny and Willie" a short story by obscure writer Chyenne. The character Tootnanny is described in this exerpt:
    "He was the color of a baby

    Lashauna S.
    grand piano but skinny like a clarinet, and was the blackest man I had ever seen."
  • A 1960's surf band called the Rumblers, whose music charted only in France, released a single in August 1963 called "It's a Gaz" with b-side "Tootnanny." Link (on lit
    cette page en français.) The song is regularly used as background music on the Dr. Demento radio show.
  • Lashauna S. (pictured right) has a cousin named Tootnanny.

No comments: