Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Confidence

I'll never forget the first time I heard the word confidence. It was July 8, 1991, in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. It was "Lecture Hour" at the Dale Brown Basketball Camp. Coach Brown told us, "Confidence is everything. You can't do a damn thing with yourself if you're not confident. Look at this basketball in my hand. See that basket over there?" There was a basketball goal about 30 feet from him, and the hydraulic lift had not been applied, so the rim was about three feet from the ground. Coach Brown lackadaisically threw the ball in the air, and sure enough, the ball hit nothing but net.

It was a defining moment in my life, and though I've not played a minute of organized basketball for over ten years, it's stuck with me to this day.


No comments: