Sunday, July 1, 2007

Louis Armstrong, Happy Birthday


"King of the Zulus" makes me hate racism.
One year ago today, I moved to New York. So far I've gone to two three American League games, two National League games, one NBA game, and one NFL game. I've also thought of many new underwater rassler names. Other than that, my time in New York has been a complete waste. There's nothing to do, nothing to eat, no interesting people, nothing.

Today also is the day that I thought was Louis Daniel Armstrong's 106th birthday until I just now looked it up on Wikipedia and discovered that he was actually born on August 4, 1901. He was born in New Orleans, and he died in Corona, Queens. I committed to this blog entry, so I'll just play like today's his birthday.

Listen to the really old Armstrong stuff, back when he played the cornet and not the trumpet. The cornet is an introverted instrument, and Armstrong's playing is intelligent and introspective. I love it.

Here are my top xiv Louis Armstrong songs:
  1. "St. James Infirmary"
  2. "La Vie en Rose"
  3. "Potato Head Blues"
  4. "Hotter Than That"
  5. "Sweet Little Papa"
  6. "St. Louis Blues"
  7. "Savoy Blues"
  8. "Mack the Knife"
  9. "Skip the Gutter"
  10. "Two Deuces"
  11. "Weather Bird"
  12. "Oriental Strut"
  13. "Cornet Chop Suey"
  14. "Chicago Breakdown"

No comments: