Friday, July 6, 2007

It Was L Years Ago Today


St. Peter's Church
Fifty years ago right now, a little band called the Quarry Men began playing R&B hits on a makeshift stage at the annual garden fête at St. Peter's Church in Woolton, Liverpool, Merseyside, England. A xv year old southpaw in the audience found amusing the fact that the lead singer, John Winston Lennon, xvi, made up the lyrics to the songs because he had a painfully erratic memory. After the show, Lennon's friend Ivan Vaughan introduced him to the kid, James Paul McCartney. They became fast friends, and Paul joined the band, and two years later the band was renamed The Beatles.

Look at all the lonely people.

There's a cemetery behind St. Peter's. Pictured left is a very interesting tombstone. Click it to see the full-size image.

And here are the top l (pronounced "fifty") most played songs Beatles songs in my iTunes:
i"With a Little Help From My Friends"
ii"A Day in the Life"
iii
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
iv
"She's Leaving Home"
v
"Long, Long, Long"
vi
"I'm Only Sleeping"
vii
"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"
viii
"When I'm Sixty-Four"
ix
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
x
"Don't Let Me Down"
xi
"Getting Better"
xii
"Lovely Rita"
xiii
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)"
xiv
"Fixing a Hole"
xv
"Something"
xvi
"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
xvii
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
xviii
"Within You Without You"
xix
"Good Morning Good Morning"
xx
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
xxi
"I Need You"
xxii
"Eleanor Rigby"
xxiii
"All My Loving"
xxiv
"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"
xxv
"You Never Give Me Your Money"
xxvi
"Fool on the Hill"
xxvii
"A Taste of Honey"
xxviii
"If I Fell"
xxix
"No Reply"
xxx
"Carry That Weight"
xxxi
"Because"
xxxii
"This Boy"
xxxiii
"Here, There, and Everywhere"
xxxiv
"You Like Me Too Much"
xxxv
"I've Just Seen a Face"
xxxvi
"Yes It Is"
xxxvii
"Here Comes the Sun"
xxxviii
"Happiness Is a Warm Gun"
xxxix
"Cry Baby Cry"
xl
"It's Only Love"
xli
"For No One"
xlii
"I'm Looking Through You"
xliii
"It Won't Be Long"
xliv
"Golden Slumbers"
xlv
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
xlvi
"Dear Prudence"
xlvii
"Helter Skelter"
xlviii
"In My Life"
xlix
"Julia"
l
"I'll Follow the Sun"

No comments: