Saturday, July 14, 2007

Harvard

I snuck into Harvard Stadium yesterday. It was built in 1903. It was the first one built entirely of reinforced steel and concrete. In 1906, a committee met to change the rules of the game because kids were dying from their brutal injuries. When it was suggested that the field be widened, Harvard's people objected, saying it would cost entirely too much for them basically to demolish their new stadium for a widened field. Therefore, a new rule was enacted instead--the forward pass. I can say without a doubt that Harvard Stadium is the most beautiful and pure (and "unfucked up," a term coined by Burt in Deliverance) stadium I've ever seen. I can say with only a little doubt that it is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. And I've seen Notre Dame de Paris and Little Elvis.



No comments: